Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I (DO NOT) have prostate cancer (ANYMORE)

Ref my previous posts, I have prostate cancer, post #1 and I have prostate cancer, post # 2, I no longer have prostate cancer.

I had a DaVinci Robotic Radical Prostatectomy (removal of the cancerous prostate gland) last Tuesday 29 Sep. The pathology report (which I haven't seen the details of yet) came back after surgery saying the cancer appears to be fully contained within the removed prostate. Although there are no ultimate guarantees, and I will have a lifetime of monitoring, it is hugely better than "you have 3 to 6 months".

I am recovering now from a very complex and invasive snip and tuck surgery. They were able to spare both nerve bundles that effect male functionality and I fully expect to get through any incontinence issues too.

I already have my ski pass for this coming winter, so LOOK OUT you mountain people! As life doesn't get any longer, no matter what, I am also still browsing for a mountain property. Simple ol' me. I still like looking at trees and rocks. We shall see.

Thanks for all the support and good wishes, past and future. I feel like this home run was for all those dear family and friends of mine and everyone's who we have lost to the many deadly cancers out there. We can win and beat this thing. I'm incredibly fortunate to be one who has done so.

My good fortune was due in large part to early detection, an extremely high level of medical and technical expertise on the part of my surgeon and his staff, advanced technology medical equipment, and high quality hospital care before, during, and after the surgery.

Don't even get me started on "national health care". Well, ok, for one thing I confirmed the cancer and was rid of it in just over 60 days. Try doing that in Canada, the U.K., or anywhere else.

But I digress. It's just great to be alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment